How is your baby doing when you are 12 weeks pregnant? At this stage, your baby is about the size of a lemon and is growing rapidly. His or her heart is now beating about 140 times per minute, and he or she can probably even hiccup! You may be starting to feel movement, though it may still be very subtle. All of his or her organs are present and functioning, and gender can usually be determined on an ultrasound. Read on to learn more about what to expect when you are 12 weeks pregnant.
What To Expect At 12 Weeks Pregnant?
You may begin to feel movement from your baby, called quickening, though it may feel like gas at first. This is a normal part of pregnancy and nothing to worry about.
You will likely have your second-trimester screening during this week or the next. This screening includes a blood test and an ultrasound. The purpose of this screening is to check for certain birth defects and chromosomal abnormalities.
If you have not already done so, you should start taking prenatal vitamins at this time. These vitamins contain folic acid, which helps prevent certain birth defects of the brain and spine.
Signs and Symptoms
Some of the signs and symptoms that you may experience include:
- breast tenderness
- increased urination
- mood swings
Your Baby at 12 Weeks
Your baby is the size of a plum at 12 weeks pregnant. All of their essential organs are formed and functioning, though they will continue to grow and develop throughout your pregnancy. Your baby’s heart beats approximately 150 times per minute, and they are able to make facial expressions. You may be able to feel your baby moving around this week, though it will likely feel like flutters or gas bubbles at first. If you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to see your baby sucking their thumb!
What You Must do When You’re 12 Weeks Pregnant
You are in the second trimester of your pregnancy. This is a time when your baby is growing and developing rapidly. Here are some things that you should do during this time:
- Get regular prenatal care. This means seeing your healthcare provider regularly for check-ups and prenatal screenings.
- Eat a healthy diet. This means eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive amounts of caffeine.
- Get plenty of rest. Pregnancy can be exhausting so make sure to get enough sleep each night. Consider taking naps during the day if possible.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising helps to keep your energy levels up and can help improve your mood during pregnancy. Just be sure to listen to your body and not overdo it.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day (water is best).
- Avoid risky activities such as smoking, drinking alcohol, or using drugs as these can harm both you and your baby
Products You Can Use When You’re 12 Weeks Pregnant
There are a lot of products on the market that are designed specifically for use by pregnant women. Here are some of the best products to use when you’re 12 weeks pregnant:
- Prenatal vitamins: These vitamins are essential for a healthy pregnancy. They help to ensure that you and your baby get the nutrients you need.
- Folic acid: This supplement is important for preventing birth defects. All pregnant women should take 400 micrograms of folic acid daily.
- Omega-3 supplements: These supplements can help to improve your baby’s brain development. Experts recommend that pregnant women take at least 200 mg of omega-3 fatty acids daily.
- Calcium supplements: Calcium is important for strong bones and teeth. Pregnant women should aim for 1,000 mg of calcium per day.
- Iron supplements: Iron is essential for blood production. Pregnant women need about 27 mg of iron per day.
At this stage in your pregnancy, you may be able to see your baby’s heartbeat on an ultrasound. Your baby’s heart is beating very fast at this point, and you may even be able to see movement on the ultrasound. This is an amazing time in your pregnancy, and it is amazing to see your baby growing inside of you!
As your pregnancy progresses, it’s important to stay on top of your health and the health of your baby. This checklist will help you keep track of everything you need to do during your pregnancy.
- Schedule a prenatal visit with your healthcare provider.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins every day.
- Make sure you are getting enough folic acid in your diet.
- Eat healthy foods and avoid processed foods, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Exercise regularly and stay active.
- Rest when you can and get plenty of sleep.
- Monitor your weight gain and blood pressure levels.
- Be aware of signs and symptoms of preterm labor and preeclampsia/eclampsia.
- Call your healthcare provider if you have any concerns or questions about your pregnancy.
Most women feel a sense of elation when they find out they are pregnant, and rightfully so. There is something truly magical about growing a new life inside of you. But as the pregnancy progresses, it is normal to start feeling more anxious and even scared about what the future holds. Remember that you are not alone in this journey and that millions of women have gone through exactly what you are experiencing right now. Take each day one step at a time and enjoy this amazing time in your life.